Reasons pregnancy is like one long regression into baby/toddlerhood:
- You become increasingly clumsy and off-balance
- You discover the amazing comfort of floating/balancing belly-down in the bath
- You want your Mum
- Cuddles, stretching, massage all feel 60% better than usual
- During the 1st trimester you can’t stand the idea of vegetables and have to sneak them into dishes (this was the case for me at least)
- Also during that picky 1st trimester you can only handle a single taste or texture at a time, and finds yourself physically separating elements on a plate.
This was one of my go-to dishes when I couldn’t stomach much. It’s from my soft, salty phase. This is not really cooking, as much as surviving on salty carbs with token green vegetable.
Warm Lemony Orzo
Bring 1 litre of vegetable or vegetarian chicken stock to the boil. Add 1 C of dry orzo, a tsp of chopped lemon rind and 1/4 C of frozen peas. Cook for 6-8 mins until orzo is soft and stock is mostly evaporated, leaving a thick, risotto-y texture. Add salt, black pepper and fresh lemon juice to taste.
Optional – finish with a spoonful of vegan margarine, dairy-free parmesan, nutritional yeast and/or chopped parsley.